Sunday, April 17, 2011

Well?

So, the morning after the big dinner date with JOANNE, I call my dad.

"Well????" I ask? "How did it go?"
He laughs nervously a little and then says "Pretty good."
"So???? What happened?"
"Well, we sat outside and had some wine and looked at the backyard. Then it got cold so we moved inside. She ate those ribs with her fingers!"

He seemed slightly shocked and proud of this at the same time. Again, the vision I have of this unknown chubby woman eating ribs in our childhood home is a little daunting.

"And she had 2 pieces of cake!! She can really eat!"
"So then what happened?"
"Well, after while," (he's from Texas) "I took her home and we watched American Idol."

American Idol?? What? I find this to be hilarious. And this also means that he drove to her house to pick her up (15 min drive), took her back to his house for the big feast, and then drove her back home again in time to watch the big show. That's kind of cute, actually.
Usually at this point I would ask if they made out or if any funny business went on. These conversations almost always take place when I am at work, and due to his poor hearing, I have to speak very loudly. This is a bonus for my co-workers who can't help but overhear as the drama unfolds. Luckily, he can't hear them chuckling from time to time at the other end of the line. Today, I don't want to know if they made out. Ew.

"So the dinner was a success."
"Yes I think it was. I like her."
"Well, that's good dad."
"Thanks, talk to you later. Bye."

From everything I have heard so far, this mystery woman does not appeal to me in the least. She's crass, chubby, has a sordid past and talks too much. But even so, it's good to know that my dad had a nice dinner at home (without any of those meddling kids), probably for the first time in a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment